Ad Radar

How do I get started in Stock Car Racing?

Item Posts    Sort Order

How do I get started in Stock Car Racing?

rexus31 rexus31
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/02/08
09:45 PM

Hello all.  I live close to Irwindale Speedway, a local 1/2 mile oval short track in Southern California.  I am interested in getting involved in Stock Car Racing and was wondering how I get started (aside from buying a car, getting a crew, etc.).  What series?  How does it work?  

morans636462 morans636462
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/03/08
06:40 AM

Your best bet is to probably go to the track and discuss this with members of the track management crew or other drivers... theres a lot that can help u decide by talking to them especially from a financial stand point different  divisions / series cost different amounts to purchase and maintain the car throughout the season.  

rexus31 rexus31
Posted: 03/03/08
07:48 AM

Good advice.  I am heading down to the season opener on 3/22 to check it out.  Are there any licenses or certifications required to race or can anybody show up with a car and crew and go for it?  

gattridge gattridge
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/06/08
11:09 PM

Depends on youre age.

5-16 year olds are racing the oval at Orange Show Speedway in San Bernardino

14 and up race the Jr Ford Focus Migets and the Ford Focus Midgets on dirt and pavement at Orange show and Ventura. Look up Wally Pankranz for training. He is the best driver with a training school in S. California

That could be a cheaper good way to start.  

rexus31 rexus31
Posted: 03/07/08
07:31 AM

I'm actually quite a bit older than that.  I'll be turning 37 later this month.  I checked out the racing school and it looks like a good place to start.  I'll be heading out to Irwindale on 3/22 to gather more info.  Thanks for the help.  

csracing93 csracing93
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/16/08
05:29 PM

Do you know anyone that races locally, ask if he needs any help in garage or pits , but be prepared to pay your own way in. racing budgets are really tight. This is one way to see if you really want to race locally.  

MORacingFan MORacingFan
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/08/08
07:49 PM

I'm with csracing93.  The best thing to do is to get involved with a race team and make sure you are ready to do the work that comes with local stock car racing.  After you've hung out in the pits for a while, you won't have any trouble finding a car for sale when someone else moves up a class.  

Anne
Tony Stewart NASCAR Checks  
Anne
NASCAR